Global Technology Director, Digital Printing
Updated: February 6, 2020
Michelman is a global developer and manufacturer of environmentally friendly advanced materials for industry, offering solutions for the coatings, printing & packaging, and industrial manufacturing markets. The company’s surface modifiers, additives, and polymers are used by leading manufacturers around the world to enhance performance attributes and add value in applications including wood and floor care products, metal and industrial coatings, paints, varnishes, inks, fibers, and composites. Michelman is also well-known as an innovator in the development of barrier and functional coatings, as well as digital printing press primers that are used in the production of consumer and industrial packaging and paper products, labels, and commercially printed materials. Michelman serves its customers with production facilities in North America, Europe, and Asia, product development and technical service centers in several major global markets, and a worldwide team of highly trained business development personnel.
Currently, we have a great opportunity available for a Global Technology Director to join our Digital Printing Technology group. This strategic leadership position will be located at our US headquarters in Cincinnati, OH or in our European headquarters in Windhof, Luxembourg.
You will manage the Digital Printing global technology team, supporting and leading them to provide technologies aligned with the platform’s strategic plan to develop and commercialize waterborne high-speed ink jet and Indigo primers and over print varnishes.
You will oversee project management, resource allocation, and collaborate with sales, marketing, and production to achieve our growth targets. You will be responsible for the design and execution of processes and procedures for effective innovation and direct the technical developments of new products in line with Michelman’s history of customer focus and service.
Research & Development
- Establish and communicate an inspiring vision for the Technology group for Digital Printing that is aligned with corporate and industry strategic plans
- Manage the portfolio of global technology projects for product development by translating key business goals into defined projects over different time horizons
- Drive focused tech-push and market-backed technology development including plans for innovation, growth and intellectual property
- Enable step-change disruptive innovation initiatives by leveraging the business strengths in the development and formulation of a diverse set of technology and application capabilities
- Lead the Digital Printing global technology teams to achieve a portfolio of profitable winning products
- Foster and energize a global team of technical experts who can support our growth through R&D and technical service support
- Enable and ensure alignment around technology development strategies to help virtual team on different continents to work towards common goals
- Establish performance accountabilities and conduct work development discussions for your team members
- Develop and maintain strong customer relationships to understand growth opportunities, to demonstrate how Michelman’s products and technologies meet such needs and to provide technical assistance as necessary
- Develop and maintain an industry network with customers, consultants, co-suppliers, and industry leaders to share knowledge and demonstrate Michelman’s technical leadership
- Develop relationships with universities, national labs, value chain partners, open innovation partners and government research entities to drive R&D for the group
Innovation Processes and Project / Portfolio Management
- Develop and manage different innovation processes including ideation, stage gate, technology roadmap, and portfolio management
- Identify and monitor appropriate KPIs for the technology funnel to ensure that resources are deployed to tackle the largest opportunities in Digital Printing
- Promote disciplined use of project management tools and ensure rigor in managing different stages of technology development
- Develop and maintain high level / strategic discussions with suppliers, customers, prospects, and industry organizations
- Participate in implementing business and departmental plans to achieve the year-to-year and long-term goals of the organization, focused on profitable revenue growth globally
- Manage the technology budget for salaries and expenditures (including travel and entertainment)
- Travel by car and plane to visit a global base of colleagues, customers, and facilities. Percent of travel time estimated at 25%
- Relocation assistance available
- Perform related duties as assigned or as the situation dictates
Critical Competencies, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Expertise in water-based coatings technology and applications, and/ or water-based formulated products
- Innovation mindset with a history of demonstrating leadership and influence
- Global experience in building and leading global technology teams, as well as, collaborating with sales and marketing
- Management and people development experience of associates in-home and remote locations
- Excellent problem solving, organizational, and prioritization skills
- Excellent presentation, written and oral communication skills
- Able to perform financial calculations, create and manage budgets
- English language proficiency required - additional language skills considered as a strong asset
- Proven ability to think independently and drive projects through to completion
- High levels of self-motivation, initiative, and interpersonal skills
Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree (Ph.D. preferred) in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or related degree; MBA or specific formal business training desired
- 10+ years of technical experience in the digital printing industry
- 15+ years of experience in specialty chemicals or related industries in managing teams across multiple locations
Michelman’s standard work hours for this role are Monday – Friday from 8 am – 5 pm EST or 8 am – 5 pm CET.
Note: The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to the job. They are not construed to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
Michelman is proud of the values-focused work environment that we have crafted. We pride ourselves in our focus on our values of integrity, respect, success, collaboration, curiosity, and giving. With our dedication to your technical and professional growth in addition to our rigorous onboarding experience, we guarantee that you will find yourself challenged in new ways. We offer an excellent salary, incentive, and benefits package in a dynamic, empowered team environment.
No phone calls, please. In the United States, Michelman does not hire individuals who use tobacco products. All candidates will receive a drug test prior to beginning employment which will include a test for tobacco products.
To apply for this position kindly send your CV and motivation letter to email@example.com.
For more information about Michelman, please visit https://www.michelman.com/.
Michelman is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans